Dr. Charles Sfeir is the Associate Dean of Research in the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, an Associate Professor in the Clinical and Translational Science Institute, an Associate Professor in the School of Dental Medicine (Departments of Oral Biology and the Department of Periodontology) and the School of Engineering (Biomedical Engineering), and the Founding Director of the Center for Craniofacial Regeneration. Dr. Sfeir attended Northwestern University, receiving a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree, a PhD in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, and an MS in Periodontology. Prior to attending Northwestern University, he received a Doctor of Dental Surgery from the Université Louis Pasteur – Strasbourg, France.
Dr. Sfeir’s research program focuses on the following themes/thrusts:
- Bone and dentin tissue engineering, utilizing biomaterials and cellular strategies to regenerate mineralized tissues
- Biomineralization, post-translational modifications of non-collagenous proteins in bone and dentin
- Modulation of the immune system to develop therapies for periodontal disease
- Biodegradable metals, developing load bearing bone fixation devices
- Pulp tissue regeneration
- Pre-clinical testing of devices for FDA approval
Dr. Sfeir is a member of the numerous professional societies and organizations, namely:
- American Academy of Periodontology
- American Association for Dental Research (IADR/AADR)
- American Society for Bone and Mineralization Research
- Pennsylvania Dental Association
- Society for Biomaterials
- Society for Applied Spectroscopy
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
He also serves as a journal reviewer for many publications, including but not limited to Acta Biomaterialia, the Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, the Journal of Dental Research, Connective Tissue Research, and Tissue Engineering.
View a list of Dr. Sfeir’s publications here.
Dr. Charles Sfeir
Phone: (412) 648-1949