Dr. Marina Kameneva is a Research Professor of Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Professor of Bioengineering, University of Pittsburgh, and Director of the Artificial Blood Program at the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine. Dr. Kameneva received her PhD in Mechanical Engineering from the School of Mathematics and Mechanics at Moscow State University (former Soviet Union) and subsequently worked at the Research Institute of Mechanics, Moscow State University. After emigration to the United States, Dr. Kameneva joined the faculty of the University of Pittsburgh as a Visiting Scientist of the Artificial Heart and Lung Program and was appointed as a Research Assistant Professor of Surgery in 1996, as a Research Associate Professor of Surgery in 2000, and as Research Professor of Surgery and Bioengineering in 2006.
Dr. Kameneva's major areas of expertise are biorheology, hemorheology, macro- and microhemodynamics, drag-reducing polymers (DRPs) and their potential biomedical applications, and mechanical blood trauma in artificial organs. Her current research interests include:
- Artificial blood and drag reducing polymer (DRP) phenomena
- Mechanisms of DRP phenomena in blood circulation specifically related to the ability of DRPs to modulate traffic of a blood cell in microvessels
- Potential of DRPs in regenerative medicine
- Potential of DRPs in mitigation of ischemia/reperfusion injury
- Basic rheological phenomena in normal and pathological blood
- Development of novel methods of drug delivery using modified red blood cells (RBCs)
- Modification of RBCs for potential treatment of sickle cell disease
- Application of the DRPs for preventing extravasation of the circulating tumor cells
- Mechanisms of blood trauma in artificial organs and effects of blood storage on rheological modification of erythrocytes
- Development of pediatric ventricular assist devices (VADs)
Dr. Kameneva is the author of over 400 peer reviewed journal articles, conference/symposia proceedings, and abstracts, as well as several book chapters in the areas of Fluid Mechanics, Bioengineering, and Rheology.
She is a PI and Co-PI of many federal and private foundation grants. She serves on the Editorial Board of the ASAIO Journal since 1996. Dr. Kameneva is an elected Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering since 2002. She is an invited speaker at many national and international conferences and symposia.
Visit the Kameneva Lab website here.
View a list of Dr. Kameneva’s publications here.
Dr. Marina V. Kameneva
Phone: (412) 624-5281