Dr. Johnny Huard of the University of Pittsburgh is a Professor in the Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery, Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Bioengineering, Pathology, Pediatrics, and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and he is also the Director of the Stem Cell Research Center (SCRC). He has been named the Henry J. Mankin, MD, Endowed Chair in Orthopaedic Surgery Research and also the Vice Chair for Musculoskeletal Cellular Therapeutics, Department of Orthopaedics, Pitt’s School of Medicine. In addition, Dr. Huard is the Deputy Director for Cellular Therapeutic Research at the McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine. Dr. Huard is co-founder of Cook MyoSite, Inc., a biotechnology company.
Dr. Huard leads a diverse team of research professionals in the SCRC who search for novel ways to repair, replace, reconstruct, and regenerate damaged or diseased tissues. At present, on-going work includes:
- Investigation into the improvement of muscle healing through prevention of fibrosis.
- Investigation in the characterization of the biology of muscle-derived stem cells from adult tissue.
- Muscle stem cell-based tissue engineering/gene therapy to improve bone, cartilage, nerve, and cardiac repair.
- Improving dystrophic muscle function via stem cell transplantation.
- Using muscle cells to deliver genes to the bladder and urethra, in order to improve urological dysfunctions.
More specifically, Dr. Huard and those working in the SCRC, have come to focus their efforts on several disorders in particular. These include Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, muscle injury repair, arthritis and joint injuries, cardiac regeneration, and overcoming rejection in gene transfer. Dr. Huard’s work is continually funded by the NIH, DOD, and the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Dr. Huard is a member of many professional and scientific societies, including but not limited to:
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS)
- International Association for Dental Research and American Association for Dental Research (IARD)
- Organization for the Study of Sex Differences (OSSD)
- American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- New York Academy of Sciences
Dr. Huard is an Editorial Board Member for the Journal of Neuromuscular Diseases (2013-present) and is the Treasurer on the Board of Directors of the Cell Transplantation Society (2013-2017). He is also an Academic Editor of PLoS ONE (2011-present), an Editor of the Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering (2011-present), the Founding Editorial Board Member of the American Journal of Stem Cells (2011-present), and many other professional appointments.
Dr. Huard is the recipient of numerous awards and honors. In 2013 alone, his research work was featured on the front covers of Stem Cells (Human pericytes for ischemic heart repair), the Journal of Orthopaedic Research (Dystrophin and utrophin “double knockout” dystrophic mice exhibit a spectrum of degenerative musculoskeletal abnormalities), and Molecular Therapy (Muscle-derived stem cell sheets support pump function and prevent cardiac arrhythmias in a model of chronic myocardial infarction). Dr. Huard has authored/co-authored over 250 refereed articles, over 80 review articles, invited papers, book chapters, and books, and over 700 abstracts.
View a list of Dr. Huard’s publications here.
Dr. Johnny Huard
Phone: (412) 648-2798